Thursday, December 2, 2010

Online Advertising - PPC Vs. PPI

Social Networks (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc.) and Websites can be an incredible source for marketers, advertisers and business owners to promote their products, services or ideas. We live in an age where many people spend more time on the internet than they do being out on the town or even being with their families.

By advertising online, it allows marketers to zero in on their target audience in a cheaper way while also increasing the chances that a potential customer will visit their website. When businesses advertise on billboards, television networks, or print media it is very hard to be able to insure that you are paying for something that guarantees that they are visiting your website. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to advertise in the traditional ways, but to advertise online, it might cost as little as $0.50 per click on that advertisement. The great thing is that $0.50 is a guaranteed visit to your website, because the potential customer clicked to visit your site.

The 2 most common ways to pay for your advertisements on social networks or websites is either Pay Per Click or Pay Per Impression. When Paying Per Click, you are only charged when a person clicks on your advertisement and visits your approved location for that link. When Paying Per Impression, you are paying for each time your advertisement is even popping up on the website page.

If I were to continue reloading my website and the same advertisement kept popping up, that would cost money each time, even if the person has not read the advertisement. Pay Per Click is more of an auction on key words or chosen requirements, where as the pay per impression can be dictated by the administrator of the website.

When taking part in PPC or PPI, you are able to specify the kind of person or people you want the advertisement to run on during your online campaign. For instance, if I were to advertise on Facebook for my wife's and my photography business, I would be able to specify my target audience. I could choose that I would only want my advertisements to show up on women that are interested in men and that are currently engaged or in a relationship, are of the ages of 18-30 and that are in the Texas Tech Facebook network. Then after publishing that advertisement, we could be very positive that we are only spending money on 1) our core target audience, 2) people that are visiting our website, and 3) people that are choosing to visit our site rather than being made.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would be able to specify my target audience. I could choose that I would only want my advertisements to show up on women that are interested in men and that are currently engaged or in a relationship, Best PPI Claims Service